Have you always thought of video in email as troublesome due to deliverability and rendering issues? These may be things of the past as new technologies emerge to feed people’s avid appetite for audio-visual content.
A new study by Email Monks shows that only a quarter of marketers may have used video in their email campaigns but a lot more people plan to do so soon. Early adopters have experienced substantial benefits.
Take a look at this study by The Relevancy Group in February 2013 which reported that 55% of marketers who used video in email campaigns saw a higher click through rate, 44% saw a spike in time spent and 41% witnessed an increase in sharing. Now tell me you don’t want video.
Source: eMarketer, Inc.
Moreover, senior executives and middle management folks view videos more regularly than they ever did before. Many executives even say they watch a video and then decide to check out the vendor’s website. Popularity of video is only expected to rise. So even if you don’t do video in email today, you’ll eventually want to go there.
The HTML5 Way
A few years ago HTML5 started gaining ground and this spelt great news for video in email. HTML5 with its <video> tag can be used to deliver video to the inbox for desktop, web-based and mobile email clients. This open standard is built into most web browsers and smartphones.
Some 58% of email clients (such as all iOS devices and Android tablets running Honeycomb) support HTML5 eliminating the dependence on risk-ridden, third-party plug-ins. Even for the remaining 42% of users (such as those using Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010) it’s not a raw deal. They can click on the fallback image and launch the video player.
The Static Image Way
The more pragmatic approach is to have a static image with a play button. Click on the image and the video opens in a landing page. This means you don’t have to worry about anything like file size or compatibility, but it does mean an extra click on some devices if autoplay is set to off.
Some Tips for Video in Email
- Mention “video” in the subject line to grab attention.
- Don’t put the video on autoplay with sound on. You may just get a pile of unsubscribes.
- Explain in the email what the video will show. For instance, this video will demonstrate how to use our Product X to identify your anonymous leads.
- Keep the video under two minutes. People have short attention spans.
- Keep the email light. Host the video outside using YouTube. Or try the progressive download method wherein the recipient can start to view the video before downloading the entire file.
- Grab the recipient’s attention with an interesting static image from your video. Research shows that images of people tend to work better. (This applies to the static image method.)
- Do it once and review your numbers. YouTube offers detailed analytics and reports.
Many people are sitting it out on video in email because they don’t have quality video content. But if you have a short, snappy video, what are you waiting for?
eMarketer, Inc. and The Relevancy Group, “The ROI of Video in Email Marketing”, June 10, 2013 http://www.emarketer.com/Article/Video-Next-Frontier-Email-Marketers/1009980